Lets rewind to December 2008. If anyone reading is nearing college graduation and is about to enter the REAL job market for the first time, you will completely understand my initial trepidation. Attending family parties and feeling as if you are going to be bombarded with the not-so-exciting question of "What do you think you are going to do when you graduate?" is one of the scariest feelings in the world. Especially when your answer begins with the phrase, "I think". What I was thinking or what I had been planning in my head was so far from being a certainty that each time I was asked it may have been slightly different. I believe I told everybody that Graduate school was next up for me (and still probably will be upon returning to America) in hopes of becoming a teacher.
However, more school just didn't seem like the right path at this time. I knew the right path needed to contain three specific elements. The first is that I wanted to travel and see the world and I did not want to be that old guy saying, "I wish I had done it while I was younger!" The second element was that I knew that I needed a paying job if I was not staying in school because of undergrad loans. The third and final element may come as a shock to my parents , but I really did not want to live at home after graduation (sorry Mom and Dad).
So January rolled along, with nothing in store for me and grad school was still on the horizon. It was between semesters and here at New Paltz that meant only one thing for me and that was swimming. So I was stuck at school with nothing to do for hours but prepare and prepare some more for my upcoming final few meets of my life. On the occasion friends would visit and enlighten a very boring time of year. Other than that intercession, as we call it, is terrible.
One weekend specifically, a close friend of mine and recent NP graduate Johnny Fleckenstein came to visit. He may not have thought much of it at the time or until he reads this, but that visit had serious implications toward my future. He started telling me that he and a friend Dave were taking a class that grants certification toward teaching English abroad. The qualifications were minimal: That certification, any college degree and to speak English as a native tongue. It literally took me one second after hearing this to tell him that I was going to partake in his journey.
The days following Johnny's visit were unbelievable. I had finally felt as though something wonderful had fallen into my lap and was calling my name. Although there was one problem: I wanted to forge a path of my own and not follow Johnny to Taiwan (sorry buddy). I began searching for places to go in Asia that offered this opportunity and Japan was it.
I was able to recognize the magnitude of this decision. So before telling my parents what I was planning, I needed some back up and additionally fire power. This is where Steve Ohar, one of my best friends, enters the picture. I enlisted Steve as my confidant with whom to share this trip with. As an army recruiter would never take no for an answer, nor would I. Seriously though, he needed as much convincing as I did.
With Steve on board, it was time to now share this adventure with my parents. I knew that there were two certainties in letting my parents have a stake in my trip. The first was that I was probably going to go on the trip regardless of what they say. The second was that I probably wouldn't leave without their good graces. Yeah it conflicts, I know. So I sat them down and presented an air tight case to them, gave them a few more weeks to mull it over and finally...good graces!
So we are finally starting to near the present time. Steve and I have just recently signed up for our TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course and both of us are looking forward to taking it down in Manhattan over our Spring break. I know what you are thinking. Adam wow you are really devoted to this, you just gave up your spring break for school. Don't make me blush.
You are now as up to date with my adventure as you possibly could be. I hope that if you've taken the time to read along this far you'll make me your homepage. Seriously, you will? But keep checking back for more updates. This is exciting stuff. Thanks all.

Hi, testing
ReplyDeleteHi, testing
ReplyDeleteHi, testing
ReplyDeleteHi, testing.
ReplyDeleteJust kidding. Sweet blog man, I'm excited for you. I think you should tag my name with a hyperlink to my blog. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, and I look forward to the gathering this weekend.
Ad, you're embarking on the journey of a lifetime. This will forever change the person you are, the person you're becomming, and I know it's going to change the people whose path you cross and those you teach. All for the better. They are lucky to get someone such as you.
ReplyDeleteMom and I are unbelievably proud of you. We know you'll do great.
Please link Johnny's blog here too. We wish him and Steve the best also. We'd like to follow their journey's as well.
We miss you already. This is going to be a long year for us. You can bet this will be my homepage. Hope you update it daily.
Love ya so much buddy,
Dad
Wow - Adam wonderful decision. I always wanted to go to Japan you beat me to it. Aunt Deb was there in 1982. She loved the sake vending machines on every floor of the Hotel.
ReplyDeleteI love the geisha girls and the beautiful exotic eyes.
Your dad is right it will be a trip of a lifetime, enjoy. If you become a schmunk I'll understand. But give it a few years.
Much love, Great Uncle, Ed
hey good luck with your trip man....should be pretty exciting and a lot of fun!!
ReplyDelete