Sorry for the delay between posts. I’ve been getting a barrage of complaints requesting new posts to update my life and quest to Japan. Thanks grandma. Jus t to quell the raging storm that is my grandma, and any others wondering what I’ve been up to, a large step toward completing the preliminary journey to Japan has just been completed. Actually I would like to refer to it as accomplished, like a mission. I’ve just accomplished graduating from college: mission accomplished. Check.
For those who don’t know, there are two major requirements for obtaining a foreign teaching job. The first, for semantics sake, is a TEFL/TESOL certification, which I had completed as of March ’09. The second is college graduation, completed as of May ’09. The weekend was filled with everything someone can expect when saying goodbye to great friends and even better memories. I really don’t want to go into the specifics, but there were a few broments (aka a sacred moment between two bros).
More to the point, Steve and I concluded that there were a bunch of major steps that were needed to actually leave for Japan. Some are larger than others in the grand scheme of life, but all are technically equally important before sitting on the plane.
1. TEFL/TESOL Certification (Check)
2. College Graduation (Check)
3. Applying and landing a teaching job
4. Buying a plane ticket
5. Stepping on the plane
These are the pivotal moments that really define the “pre journey”. 1 and 2 are done, but 3 through 5 are still in the making. Actually, come to think of it, I have applied to a few jobs in Japan, but because of the urgency of the situation, they are normally positions that are filled within the month. Ergo, it’s too soon to apply. I plan on sending out resumes in June/July.
UPDATE: I still am not nervous about leaving at all. My mom is doing all the worrying for me.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Congratulations, kudos and a job superbly done in your accomplishment of goal #2. I never doubted your ability to achieve this monumental step in your journey through life.
ReplyDeleteWe (mom, Marissa and me) were unbelievably proud of you the day you were ceremoniously awarded your undergraduate diploma. We know you recognize this as a step in the process of the larger goal you have planned. Please don't minimize this accomplishment though. You did it with style and grace. The trials and tribulations of your four years as a member of the Hawks Nest proved you have the tenacity to endure some very difficult obstacles. Once again, DONE!!!
Adam, you are forgetting a small but important step in the pre-boarding process. You need to re-number your list to include as either #3 or #4 as getting your international fredom....a passport. Done!
We are looking forward to more frequent and some very exciting adventures posted for us to share with you. Keep those resumes flowing, land a good job, and begin to enjoy the rest of your life. You deserve it.
Love you buddy,
Dad
Indeed congratulations are definitely in order!! Your intelligence, level of confidence, and kindness of heart are a winning combination that defines you. I am so very proud of you. Good luck in all endeavors that you desire!
ReplyDeleteI love you,
Mom
Don't forget me.
ReplyDelete<3
'Thing'
Hey Dew,
ReplyDeleteI assume BTS will be available from the Land of the Rising Sun too? Would hate to see you at a highly respectable count and have to get on the plane.
I'm going to miss you terribly.
Dad