This is going to be a short and yet profound post.
While walking down the street in Sangju with Seung and Bella, I said, “In America, we normally let ladies walk first.”
Seung quaintly replied, “In Korea, we are all human beings.”
If chivalry is, in fact, dead, it is replaced with something far more important: equality.

Your thoughts make me smile:)
ReplyDeleteAd,
ReplyDeleteThat's as profound a thought and as compassionate a feeling as the person I know you are. Just beautiful.
Keep the writing flowing. I love reading all you have to say.
Dad
I love the photos! The city looks great,extremely manageable. Keep the pics coming!!
ReplyDeleteEquality is great, but, I still like it when a gentlemen opens the door for me!
ReplyDeleteDo you have weekends off? When do we get to see pictures of your apt.?
I don't think I'll ever get bored of your writing. Keep'm coming, Ad! I love them.
Love,
Aunt Elle
Hi Adam
ReplyDeleteReading about your first few hours in Korea was SO much fun. I can't wait to read more.
I especially loved the part when you were discussing speech sounds (it figures, right?) with your new friends ...I find it interesting that when children first learn to speak, they are capable of using any sound from any language. But as the young child learns the language(s) in which he is destined to become fluent, the innate ability is extinguished. When we try to learn a language later in life, the best most of us can hope to do is approximate the sounds of the new language, some with more success than others. So it isn't surprising that your friends can't discriminate /r/ and /l/. Good to keep in mind with your students, too.
Speaking of students, I'm dying to hear what you'll be teaching them and what kinds of lesson plans you'll have. It’s hard to imagine doing what you are doing, and I'm so envious, though I know I would never have the courage. Go You!
Keep having fun!
Laurie
Adam,
ReplyDeleteYou are embarking on quite an adventure! The experiences you are having now will be life changing on so many levels. Enjoy all of it. I look forward to hearing about your students and your enjoyment of teaching!
Be well. Love,
Aunt Carol