“Balls.”
“Ballsh.”
“Ball’S’.”
“Ballsh.”
“ssss.”
“ssshhhh.”
“ssss.”
“sssshhh.”
This went back and forth for five minutes before I decided too much time had been spent trying to procure the ‘s’ sound from a little boy who was at the mercy of a speech impediment. I knew it wasn’t his fault that the sound the letter ‘s’ makes is sometimes too difficult for someone with a dinner plate for a tongue, but he was frustrated that all of his classmates had successful pronunciations.
“Teacher, teacher! ‘sshhhh’.”
All I could say was, “It’s getting better, keep trying.” Adding to the situation was the fact that he was trying to say the word ‘balls’. Which, being an immature person, I found funny after constant repetition. It also didn’t help that he understood he was at a disadvantage and was trying to compensate by contorting his face to try and make the sound differently. The little engine that could (or couldn’t) must have said ‘balls’ nearly a hundred times with a different hysterical face each time. He was completely aware that he looked ridiculous and laughed along with everyone else in the class. I am sure he was making some of the faces for the pleasure of his classmates, but, by and large he was trying and failing.
Poor guy. At least he wasn’t trying to say ‘nutsh’ or ‘teshticlesh’.

I can see the little guy now. After the first 10 times, the other students had to have their hand covering their hysterical smile (or laughter), saying to each of their classmates.......'he said ballzh' lmao
ReplyDeleteWell, knowing your old man Adam, I'd have been doing/saying the same thing. I give you credit for being able to maintain your composure.
Cute story.
Happy Chanukah Ad,
Love ya,
dad
Loved this entry! I can't wait to have Laurie read this one. Your student sounds absolutely adorable. Your depiction of the occurence was hillarioush!
ReplyDeleteLove you,
mom
haha! I have the exact kid I think. His speech problem has nothing to do with English. But he's also the laughing stock of the class, and he loves it (bless his heart...)
ReplyDeleteBy the way, just wait until someone is trying to get you to pronounce a Korean word properly and all of a sudden you are on the other end of this...
LOVE this one. hahaahahaha
ReplyDeleteHi Adam
ReplyDeleteHey, you practicing speech therapy without a license? Ha! Cute story.
Next, try getting the student to say /z/ instead of /s/, which is the sound after /balls/ if not the spelling.
Then, try to teach him to say /sit/. *snicker*
Hi Adam
ReplyDeleteHave him practice: She shells shea shells at the shea shore.....
Love ya
acutally: she sells sea shells at the seashore
ReplyDeletellllllaaaaaaaaammmmmmmoooooooooo
that was lmao
ReplyDeletedid i ever tell ya about the guy that had a very bad stutter problem...i'll have to tell ya on skype the next time we speak
ReplyDeleteAdam, keep those cards and letters coming. Love it.
ReplyDeleteGrandma