However, this is not where the main focus of my difficulties lies. I can completely understand that some days, school is not the place to be. Moreover, it is when I have to move on to the next class that I start feeling the distinction between the titles: teacher and great teacher. A teacher will let the previous class linger in their mind, effectively destroying the opportunities of any subsequent student. A great teacher can withhold their emotions of prior classes in order to give the students an optimal learning environment. I believe that this is what begins to define the characteristics of great teachers (aside from the preparation).
It is very difficult to shut out emotional responses and bottle them up for hours possibly days. I can now honestly say to all my past teachers: I feel your pain. And maybe I am a tiny bit sorry being the main source of your anguish…sometimes…maybe…

A great teaher is not one who hammers his students with facts, but one who inspires his students to think. Granted, grammar has many concrete unavoidable rules, but it is your job to create and environment that each of your students feel comfortable in. An environment that they can relax, and fully engage in whatever knowledge you have to share.
ReplyDelete...and by the way the photos of your students are just great:)
ReplyDelete...oh and the fact that you sometimes may feel frustrated is a very good thing.....That means you care. That to me is the beginnings of an excellent teacher!
ReplyDeleteKeep it up Dew, you're superb!
ReplyDeleteHi Ad: Glad you're enjoying your experiences. Know you will be a great teacher. This is a learning experience that I envy. Keep up the good work, listen to the kids, that's the secret to a fabulous teacher. Lotsa love. Grandma
ReplyDeleteP.S. A call now and then can't hurt. Also, make a friend of the most troublesome child and make him your project. Who pays more attention girls or boys? Just curious.
ReplyDeleteRemember too, a good night sleep will put you in a good state of mind. All actions get a reaction. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDelete