Today, I saw a bird. This may seem like a totally ridiculous statement, which may even provoke you to ask the question, “Adam, what is a bird?” My response would include a description of a normal, average, run-of-the-mill, feathery, flying and standard bird. So why would I waste my time and write about such a perfectly normal sighting? Because it’s not a perfectly normal sighting. Because I’ve been in Korea for 3 months now and I’ve never seen or even heard a bird.
The effect the lack of birds has on the surrounding ecosystem is massive. I’ve heard stories, tales and near legends of the largest insects you could imagine (well, maybe a bit smaller) appearing during the summer months to take advantage of the predator-less area. Rick has told me that the mosquitoes are all the size of your index finger and, additionally, show no mercy for places to feed. He told me a story, which to sum up, sounded as if a small helicopter landed on his forehead during the middle of the night and implanted a golf ball sized lump underneath his skin. Foreheads don’t even have any meat on them.
To quote Bill Watterson (if you don’t know who he is, I don’t know you): “Good ol’ itchy island! Home of the nuclear mosquitoes!” Although this wasn’t in reference to Korea, I think the obvious message still rings true. Hopefully I see more birds outside as the weather continues to warm up. As for now, the 1 bird will probably die from obesity.

Cute<3
ReplyDeleteHi Adam, this is unc, miss you sooooooooooooo much. I will get used to all this stuff. It will take me some time because I'm really technologically challenged, oy vey!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove ya, your favorite UNC
Hi Adam,
ReplyDeleteWOW! You can't even take a bird for granted! What kind was it? Does Sangju sell bug spray for the summer months?
Love you,
Aunt Elle
Interesting tidbit. lol
ReplyDeleteYou should start a fashion trend, AND be the importer of those funky looking jungle helmets with mosquito netting around your head, like this:
http://www.ronniesunshines.com/images/Head_Net.jpg
.....and may the bluebird of happiness keep the mosquitoes from feasting.
Love ya