Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sore Thumb

Things have certainly started to slow down a bit, here in Sangju, South Korea. Experiences that were once culturally shocking are now becoming normal everyday occurrences. Supermarket, restaurants and bars were all things that were once considered an adventure and a true test of character are now too common to be considered extraordinary. I do, however, want to make it very clear that in no way am I bored; I am getting used to my surroundings.

Unfortunately, it is still impossible for me to blend in. Rick, an Australian who has lived in Korea for 7 years and speaks Korean very, very well, explained this to me in a very basic manner. He said, “How many Westerners do you know that live in Sangju?”

I replied, “Give or take 15 people.”

Rick responded, “Of those 15 people, how many of them hang out with Koreans like we do.”

I said, “Only three people.” I was talking about Rick, Kelsey and myself.

“Right, so out of the entire population of Sangju, only 3 Westerners are seen in public. In a larger city, like Seoul, there are too many Westerners to count. They can blend in. Here, it is very easy to gain a reputation (good or bad). And when you do something, everybody is going to find out about it.”

I completely understood what he meant; and yet, I was slightly skeptical. This was until I finally had a firsthand experience to explain what he meant. I walked into a bar that Rick had taken me too only once when I first arrived. The owner/bartender immediately walked over to where Rick and I sat down and she said, “Rick, Adam, it’s good to see you again!”

I had no memory of ever meeting her. I barely remembered the interior of the bar, let alone any names or faces.

Rick turned to me and said, “See man, you just stick out. They don’t forget what the Westerners do around here.”

It was certainly some good advice from someone who knows the ropes around here. No matter what, I am going to be the center of attention...awesome!!!

2 comments:

  1. Someone is getting comfortable in his skin and his surroundings. All good Ad. Nice advice from your buddy Rick. You are like a walking, talking, 3D billboard....you advertise your actions whatever you do. Make sure you close the door to the outhouse.

    Love you,
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you more as a "bright ray of sunshine on a cloudy day....or perhaps a rose in a field of daisies." Certainly NOT a sore thumb.

    Love you and miss you ,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete