Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Utilities

June has come and gone and I am left with memories of having some of the worst mosquito bites I’ve ever received. However, that was last post, this is a new one. Today, like any other Wednesday, upon finishing work I return home to change clothes and head off for the gym and I am hit with an extraordinarily great feeling of relief. In fact, each and every time I’ve entered my room for the past 2 months I get to enjoy that feeling of relief. Why, you ask? My air conditioner.

The only difference between today and other days is it is June 30th. Also known as: Utility bill day. Last month I had quite a cheap utility bill, which I believe to be around $25. This month was a bit different. I’ve had my air conditioner on 24/7 set at a wintery 21° Centigrade (69° F), so I expected a significant increase in cost. Boy was I wrong.

I received my MONTHLY bill and thought that my eyes were playing tricks on me. “6,600 won, that can’t be right,” I thought to myself. Now for everyone who is unsure of the exchange rate between KRW (won) and USD (US Dollar), it is approximately 1USD = 1150 KRW. And recently it’s been a bit more skewed at around 1200 KRW to the dollar.

6,600 KRW = $5.40 USD

Now realize, $5.40 pays for my entire months heating/electric/water supply only. Unfortunately, I can’t include internet and phone utilities which are significantly higher. Regardless, raise your hand if you would like to pay $5.40 a month to keep your house cool and energized for the summer.

Check it:


3 comments:

  1. Adam.....at those rates I would put in a Pool.\
    did the cold kill the biting bugs?:

    Keep COOL my man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ad,
    Even I wouldn't be telling you to turn off the lights! lol

    A single pump on my reef costs more than that to run for a month. Savor these days my son, savor these days.

    1-4-3
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. asia is awesome... i don't think i pay more than $25 USD/month for my electric, gas, cable, internet, water combined.

    ReplyDelete